Tricks To Stay Balanced In The Holiday Season
Do you find you eat well and focus on your health and fitness from Monday - Friday, and then it gets to the weekend and you undo all that hard work?
Healthy living is all about enjoying everything in moderation - I do not believe in deprivation and you shouldn’t either. However, you should not forget your healthy diet and routine just because it is Christmas.
So here are my top nutrition tips to get you through the festivities feeling satisfied and healthy while still being able to enjoy the things you love.
- Focus everyday on healthy eating habits - try to start everyday with a healthy ritual such as lemon water, morning exercise and a healthy breakfast.
- Have a protein rich snack before you head out to an event - protein helps us feel satisfied and keeps us feeling fuller for longer. To avoid over eating try snacking on something before hand like greek yogurt with nuts and seeds, hummus and raw veggies or simply a protein shake!
- Don't deprive yourself - enjoy all foods in moderation. Moderation is key in everything and it will actually help you to control your portion sizes. When we deprive ourselves it generally leads to over eating and guilt afterwards. Have your desert and enjoy it! If I know I’m going to be having a big day of eating and drinking, I try to eat smaller/lighter meals in the morning and get some exercise in.
- Choose your drink wisely - avoid sugary cocktails and soft drinks - go for spirits with soda water and lemon or red wine. Also try to drink a lot of water on the day of an event to keep yourself hydrated.
- Don't put yourself under pressure - the holiday season is a time to rewind and relax. If you splurge, move on, don’t let it ruin your day.
So let’s commit to a fun and balanced season together. We hope you enjoy your time with your loved ones.
Merry Christmas from Darcy & Rachelle at Lumila xx