ALL ABOUT BONE BROTH
Benefits of Bone Broth and Bone Broth Fasting
Bone broth is a nutritious broth made primarily from animal bones. The broth is simple, inexpensive, nutrient-dense and an extremely healthy addition to your kitchen and diet. Bone broths have been noted to improve your health in numerous ways, as it is extraordinarily rich in protein and minerals.
The bones are simmered in water, apple cider vinegar, spices and vegetables for at least 12 hours where the bones begin to break down, allowing the release of beneficial nutrients such as collagen, gelatin, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium.
The main benefits we want to take from bone broth are:
- The high content of glycine in bone broth supports the bodies’ detoxification process and stimulates the production of stomach acid and the synthesis of bile salts, allowing adequate secretion of gastric acids which is necessary for the breakdown and digestion of fat.
- Bone broth stimulates digestion and is an excellent source of collagen which plays an important role in the healing of your stomach lining reducing the occurrences of nausea, reflux, bloating, food sensitivities, constipation and diarrhea and increases absorption and assimilation of nutrients.
Other Benefits Include:
- Boosts immune system
- Weight loss
- Improve joint health
- Improved appearance of skin and hair and nails
- Reduce the appearance of cellulite
- Reducing fasting insulin levels and normalising blood sugar activity
- Decreasing cholesterol
- Increase in blood cells
- Improve mental clarity (memory and cognition)
- Improved sleep
- Treat leaky gut syndrome
- Removes toxins within the body
- Estrogen balancing
- Increases fertility
- Proven to have positive effects on body mass and health markers in professional athletes
- Normalising appetite by controlling hunger hormones like ghrelin
How to use broth?
We aim to consume around 500ml of bone broth per day, per person. This is usually achieved by starting every morning with a mug of broth seasoned with salt and pepper, consuming a cup before dinner or braising our meats and vegetables in it. Other ways we incorporate broth into our daily diet include:
- As a base for soups and stews
- As a base for gravy and sauces
- Use it to cook veggies in for extra nutrients
- As a warm drink for a snack.
Where to get broth?
The best way to get broth is to make it yourself. This is the least expensive and most nutrient dense way to get broth if you can find quality bones locally.
If you cant or don’t want to make broth, we recommend is Meadow and Marrow bone broth concentrate.
3-Day Bone Broth Fast
A bone broth fast has numerous benefits on the body. The noticeable, immediate results for many people are improved digestion, increased energy, clarity, and fresher looking skin. Bone broth fasts are simple to follow, inexpensive and customisable to fit your needs and goals. They don’t require buying lots of expensive supplements or spending hours in the kitchen cooking and preparing meals for the day.
During the fast you will consume bone broth several times per day while incorporating intermittent fasting into your daily routine.
We recommend that you consult your healthcare practitioner for more information regarding this before getting started.